Dense breasts and hormone-related pain

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
hreppers

by hreppers on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:51 pm

Dense breasts and hormone-related pain

Hello all,

I occasionally experience pain and tenderness in both breasts. I understand this usually happens a week or few days before your period, but for me it typically happens a week or so AFTER my period. I just went to the gyno, who said it was probably just hormones, but recommended I have a mammogram just in case. I ended up having both a mammogram (which was incredibly painful) and an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech said she didn't see anything to be concerned about, but that I do have very dense breasts. I understand that this means I may be at higher risk for breast cancer and will need to have additional tests when I start getting my yearly mammogram (I'm 31, btw).

What I'm curious about is the relationship between dense breasts and hormone-related pain. The ultrasound tech said this was common for folks with dense breasts (and that it explained why the mammogram hurt so badly). I haven't been able to find any more information on this. Has anyone had experience with this? What did you do to treat the pain?

Thanks!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:07 am

Re: Dense breasts and hormone-related pain

Hi hreppers,

Thank you for posting on the forum. Please find some useful information below about breast pain and how to help the pain:

http://www.salisbury.nhs.uk/Information ... tpain.aspx

Kind regards
talkheath
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

LucasBlack78

by LucasBlack78 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:26 am

Re: Dense breasts and hormone-related pain

Dense breast tissue is not abnormal; it can cause in mid-aged women. Sometimes it’s difficult to interpret the mammogram in such a case. However, dense breast tissues do not usually develop into breast cancer. But it does increase the chances of breast cancer.

3 posts