4 year old with regular daytime wetting

If you have questions about children and teenager's bladder issues please post them here for the experts.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
youngson4

by youngson4 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 pm

4 year old with regular daytime wetting

Hi, my 4 year old son has been potty trained for 2 years but still wets himself regularly in the day. This has been a consistent issue and he only stays dry if I manage to get him to try to wee every hour or so. He is not dry at night but I haven’t tackled this yet as he is a deep sleeper and his father had issues as a child with staying continent at night. Regarding the daytime wetting, as far as I’m aware it’s still within normal ranges for a 4 year old to regularly wet himself. I try sticker charts to encourage him to wee regularly and stay dry but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. My son occasionally complains that it is sore when he urinates and I took him to the gp but he didn’t see any sign of infection. It has been suggested that his foreskin seems a bit tight though. Any advice welcome on how to approach this! Thank you.

Mr Sachin Malde

by Mr Sachin Malde on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Re: 4 year old with regular daytime wetting

Hi

Thank you for your message. The foreskin in young boys is very often slightly tight, and this is normal so I wouldn't be too concerned about this. Over ther next few years it should start to become less tight, and if it doesn't then I would recommend seeing your doctor again. In terms of his bladder problems, it sounds as though you are doing all the right things. Does he drink a lot of sweet/sugary drinks? Reducing the amount of sweet drinks can often help these symptoms. If not, I would recommend seeing a paediatric urologist who will be able to assess things fully and suggest other ways to help depending on his particular situation.
Mr Sachin Malde
Consultant Urological Surgeon - BSc(Hons) MBBS MSc(Urol), FRCS(Urol)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _malde.php

2 posts