Page 1 of 1

I think I might have full incontinence

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 pm
by meghanfrench
Help! I need assistance and can never get into my GP. To start, I have ALWAYS had bladder issues - even as a kid. If I was worried or anxious I would spend AGES in the toilet and peeing. I have memories from when I was really young where I have peed myself because I couldn't hold it in or I suddenly realised I had to go but I wasn't near enough to a toilet
When I first got married 20 years ago I was told by a doctor that because of how my uterus sits, it presses down on my bladder - hence why I would leak during or after intercourse.
I found it hard to control my bladder during both my pregnancies and it worsened after both my kids were born (2000 & 2003) even though both kids were delivered by c-section.
I was diagnosed with IBS in 2007 and I am so bloated and constipated that it seems to make the bladder incontinence even worse.
In 2014 I suffered a prolapsed disc between my L4 & L5 vertebrae and things have only gotten worse. I am on medication for the back-pain as well as medication for depression & anxiety and the Fibromyagia that was diagnosed in 2015. I also have developped rectal prolapse because of the straining from the constipation.
I have already been assessed by a Continence Nurse and the NHS is providing the pads, but what they have provided for 3 months barely lasts me 2 months. I have cut back on caffeine, lost weight and increased my water intake. I have also tried to hold onto my urine for as long as possible. The problem is that I still can't make it to the bathroom in time and I can't hold my pelvic muscles at all. Because of the back pain I can't use tampons, so I can't use any sort of Kegel devices. To be honest, I haven't been able to be intimate with my husband for 4 years because of my back.
Help, I am tired of having to change myself 3 times a day and doing laundry 2 or three times a day.

Re: I think I might have full incontinence

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am
by Mr Sachin Malde
Dear Meghan, sorry to hear you have suffered for so long. There are a range of potential options to get things a lot better for you, and I would recommend seeing a urologist who specialises in incontinence so that you can be fully assessed and the best treatments for your particular case can be discussed with you. Hope that helps!