Constipation

If you have questions about constipation or diarrhoea please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lucyann25

by lucyann25 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Constipation

I was just wondering if anybody has got any advice for chronic constipation. I have had it all my life but recently It has got a lot worse. I have recently been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency and so I am now on a high dose of vitamin d tablets. I have found this has affected my constipation in a way that I seem to get clogged up very easily so much so that it affects my everyday life and relationships. I have been prescribed fibre gel for this issue and I have always had a good healthy balanced diet. Has anyone got any advice that could help with this issue?

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Re: Constipation

Hi,

Unfortunately constipation is a common side-effect of vitamin D supplementation. As you've been diagnosed with a deficiency, it's obviously important that you continue taking vitamin D.

I know you're taking a fibre gel, but as you're especially prone to constipation you may still need to increase the amount of fibre and liquids in your diet to tackle the problem.

Try to eat a plenty of high-fibre foods such as wholemeal and whole-grain breads and cereals - including oats - fruit and vegetables, brown rice and wholemeal pasta. If you're not used to a high-fibre diet, it might be advisable to increase the amount of fibre you eat gradually. Drinking plenty of fluids should also help to soften your stools.

Keeping physically active will help to keep your digestive system moving, so try to take regular daily exercise.

If these measures don't ease your constipation I'd recommend seeing your GP about it again, as there are other laxatives you could try that may bring relief.

I wish you well for the future.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts